Your Complete Guide To Pet Holidays
We're Ready to Celebrate Every Pet Holiday in 2020!
Here at Time To Pet, it feels like every day is a pet holiday! We get pretty excited about celebrating our pets (and the pets our customers are taking care of) whenever we can. A lot of people are familiar with the major pet holidays like the aforementioned National Dog Day, PSI's Take Your Dog to Work Day, National Pet Day, and Adopt a Shelter Pet Day, but there are many more pet holidays to celebrate. We've made a big list (over 150) of pretty much every pet holiday there is!
But pet holidays aren't only about dancing around the house with your cat that happens to be dressed like a pirate—National Meow Like Pirate Day, September 19th. They are also an excellent opportunity for pet care businesses to make some great content for their blogs, emails, and social media channels. If you are ever running out of cute pet pictures to post on your Instagram or Facebook (highly unlikely, we know), you can always share a pet holiday! You might want to bookmark this calendar and check it out every month. For more great info on boosting your online presence, check out our blog post on Local SEO For Your Dog Walking and Pet Sitting Business.
Here is our list of over 150 pet holidays to celebrate in 2020!
- Walk Your Pet Month
- National Train Your Dog Month
- January 2nd - National Pet Travel Safety Day
- January 5th - National Bird Day
- January 14th - National Dress Up Your Pet Day
- January 21st - Squirrel Appreciation Day
- January 22nd - National Answer Your Cat’s Question Day
- January 24th - Change a Pet's Life Day
- January 29th - Seeing-Eye Guide Dog Birthday
February might be best known for Valentine's Day, but there are some other great opportunities to show your pets some love with all these great holidays!
- Pet Dental Health Month
- Dog Training Education Month
- National Cat Health Month
- National Prevent a Litter Month
- Adopt a Rescued Rabbit Month
- Responsible Pet Owners Month
- February 2nd: Hedgehog Day (and Groundhog Day)
- February 7th -14th - Have a Heart for Chained Dogs Week
- February 10th -11th - Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show
- February 14th - Pet Theft Awareness Day
- February 20th - National Love Your Pet Day
- February 22nd - National Walk Your Dog Day
- February 22nd - National Wildlife Day
- February 23rd - International Dog Biscuit Appreciation Day
- February 23rd - 29th - National Justice for Animals Week
- February 25th - World Spay Day
- February 27th - Polar Bear Day
Did you that Saint Gertrude of Nivelles is the patron saint of cats? Have you ever wondered what it would be like if pets had thumbs? Check out all these great pet holidays in March!
- Poison Prevention Awareness Month
- Adopt a Rescued Guinea Pig Month
- March 3rd - If Pets Had Thumbs Day.
- March 5th - 8th - Crufts. Held in Birmingham, England, this is the world’s largest dog show
- March 13th - National K9 Veterans Day
- March 14th - National Spider Day
- March 17th - Saint Gertrude of Nivelles Day— patron saint of cats.
- March 23rd - National Puppy Day
- March 23rd - Cuddly Kitten Day
- March 28th - Respect Your Cat Day
- March 30th - Take a Walk in the Park Day
April is action packed with over 20 pet holidays! If you live across the pond, it's National Pet Month!
- Heartworm Awareness Month
- Canine Fitness Month
- National Adopt a Greyhound Month
- National Pet First Aid Awareness Month
- Prevention of Cruelty To Animals Month
- National Pet Month - UK
- April 1st -7th - International Pooper Scooper Week
- April 2nd - Ferret Day
- April 4th - Every Day is Tag Day
- April 6th - National Siamese Cat Day
- April 8th - National Dog Fighting Awareness Day
- April 11th - National Pet Day
- April 21st - Bulldogs are Beautiful Day
- April 22nd - Earth Day
- April 24th - Hairball Awareness Day
- April 25th - International Guide Dog Day
- April 26th - National Kids and Pets Day
- April 26 - National Pet Parents Day
- April 30th - National Therapy Animal Day.
- April 30th - Adopt a Shelter Pet Day
It's National Pet Month in the US! But don't worry if you're not in the US, you can celebrate World Turtle Day® and International Chihuahua Appreciation Day!
- Chip Your Pet Month
- Pet Cancer Awareness Month
- National Pet Month
- Responsible Animal Guardian Month
- May 1st - National Purebred Dog Day®
- May 3rd - National Specially-Abled Pets Day
- May 3rd - 9th - National Pet Week
- May 4th -10th - Puppy Mill Action Week.
- May 9th - National Animal Disaster Preparedness Day
- May 10th - National Dog Mom’s Day
- May 14th - International Chihuahua Appreciation Day
- May 20th - National Rescue Dog Day
- May 23rd - World Turtle Day®
- May 30th - International Hug Your Cat Day
June is all about the cats! It's Adopt-a-Cat Month, with other special cat days like National Garfield the Cat Day and Cat World Domination Day!
- Adopt-a-Cat Month
- Adopt a Shelter Cat Month
- National Pet Preparedness Month
- June 7th through 13th - Pet Appreciation Week
- June 9th - World Pet Memorial Day
- June 19th National Garfield the Cat Day
- June 22 - Take Your Cat to Work Day®
- June 22nd - 26th - Take Your Pet to Work Week®
- June 24th - Cat World Domination Day.
- June 26th - Take Your Dog to Work Day®
Adding cat sitting to the services you offer is great way to attract new business! If you're looking to increase your cat sitting skills during Adopt-a-Cat Month, check out our blog post on Cat Sitting Tips for Pet Sitters!
The 4th of July might be your pet's least favorite holiday with all the fireworks, but the rest of the month is all about celebrating them!
- National Lost Pet Prevention Month
- National Pet Hydration Awareness Month
- Dog House Repair Month
- July 4th - Independence Day - A ruff day for pets! The loud noise of fireworks can cause dogs to panic and sometimes run away. Keep your pets calm and safe!
- July 5th - Pet Remembrance Day
- July 10th - National Kitten Day
- July 11th - All-American Pet Photo Day.
- July 15th - National Pet Fire Safety Day
- July 16th - World Snake Day
- July 16th - Guinea Pig Appreciation Day
- July 21st - No Pet Store Puppies Day
- July 26th - National Dog Photography Day - UK
- July 27th - Aug 3rd National Feed a Rescue Pet Week
- July 31st - National Mutt Day
Take a look at our blog post on Pet Sitting on the 4th of July for info about how to set your fees and policies.
With National Dog Day on August 26th, DOGust is guaranteed to be a great month!
- August 1st - DOGust Universal Birthday for Shelter Dogs
- August 2nd - 8th - International Assistance Dog Week
- August 5th - Work Like a Dog Day
- August 8th - International Cat Day
- August 10th - Spoil Your Dog Day
- August 15th - National Check the Chip Day
- August 16th - Saint Roch’s Day. Patron saint of dogs
- August 16th - International Homeless Animals’ Day.
- August 17th - National Black Cat Appreciation Day
- August 22nd - National Take Your Cat to the Vet Day
- August 26th - National Dog Day
Welcome Fall and get ready to party! September is packed full of pet holidays like National Hug Your Hound Day and the World’s Largest Pet Walk!
- Happy Cat Month
- National Service Dog Month
- National Pet Insurance Month
- Responsible Dog Ownership Month
- Pet Sitter Education Month
- September 1st - Ginger Cat Appreciation Day
- September 13th - National Hug Your Hound Day
- September 13th - National Pet Memorial Day
- September 17th - National Pet Bird Day
- September 19th - National Meow Like a Pirate Day
- September 20th - 26th - National Dog Week. Last full week in September
- September 20th - 26th - Deaf Dog Awareness Week. Last full week in September
- September 23rd - Dogs in Politics Day (also known as Checkers Day). Recognizing the dogs of politicians
- September 24th - Remember Me Thursday® is an international social media awareness day that brings attention to the millions of adoptable pets waiting in shelters and remembers those pets who never got a second chance. Share your rescue pet using #RememberMeThursday
- September 28th - World’s Largest Pet Walk
- September 28th - World Rabies Day
There is plenty to celebrate in October! You can party with your pets all month and then dress up like them on Halloween! What kind of dog does Dracula have? A bloodhound!
- Adopt-A-Dog Month
- Adopt a Shelter Dog Month
- National Animal Safety and Protection Month
- National Pet Wellness Month
- National Pit Bull Awareness Month
- October 1st - 7th - National Walk Your Dog Week
- October 1st - National Fire Pup Day
- October 1st - National Black Dog Day
- October 4th - World Animal Day
- October 10th - National Pet Obesity Awareness Day
- October 11-17 - National Veterinary Technician Week. Sponsored by the National Association of Veterinary Technicians of America.
- October 24th - National Pit Bull Awareness Day
- October 29th - National Cat Day
- October 31st - Halloween. Fun costumes for everyone!
Have you thought about volunteering at a local shelter or rescue? Volunteering is a great way to give back and spread the word about your pet care business! Check out our blog post on Volunteering 101 for Pet Sitters!
There are some great November pet holidays to celebrate while you're getting ready for the Thanksgiving Holiday!
- Adopt a Senior Pet Month
- Pet Diabetes Month
- November 1st - National Cook for Your Pets Day
- November 4th - 10th - National Animal Shelter Appreciation Week. by The Humane Society of the United States. First full week of November
- November 7- National Canine Lymphoma Awareness Day
- November 12th - Fancy Rat and Mouse Day
- November 14th - National Dog Show
With Thanksgiving and the December holidays coming up, it's a great time to review your holiday rates and policies. Take a look at our Academy lesson on Creating Your Holiday Fee Policy for some helpful info!
There are a lot of human holidays to celebrate in December, but don't forget about the pets! Check out these great pet holidays!
- National Cat Lovers’ Month
- December 2nd - National Mutt Day
- December 5th - Celebrate Shelter Pets Day
- December 9th - International Day of Veterinary Medicine
- December 13th - National Horse Day
- December 15th - National Cat Herders Day
- December 21st - Underdog Day
- December 31st - New Year’s Eve - watch out for fireworks!
Celebrating your pet doesn't have to be reserved for a holiday. Here at Time To Pet we believe that any day is a good day to celebrate them!